A burst of energy this weekend translated into cleaning my office. These particular bursts happen so infrequently that I’ve learned to live with piles of paper. Although, I pretty much know where everything is. That is until the cleaning people merge each pile into a small mountain and I wind up doing a project over because, for the life of me, I can’t find it.
While cleaning I came across this copy of Rules for Being Human. This list, in one form of another, has been passed around since the “good old days” when there were only telephones (not cell phones), snail mail and fax machines.
Anyway, I thought you’d like it.
1. You will receive a body. No two bodies are alike. You may like it or you may hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around. You’ll be much happier if you accept it.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant and stupid. It matters not.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error experimentation. The experiments “that didn’t succeed” are as much a part of this process as the experiment that ultimately “works.” Remember, there is no such thing as failure. Only things that didn’t work out the way you would have liked.
4. A lesson is repeated until it is learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
6. “There” is no better than “here.” When your “there” has become your “here,” you will simply obtain another “there” that will, again, look to you a whole lot better than “here.”
7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects back to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is always yours. Choose wisely!
9. Your answers lie inside you. The answers to life’s questions lie inside you. Never out there. All you need to do is ask, listen and trust.
10. You will forget all this. Which means, you will continue to do the same things you’ve always done over and over again, hoping, wishing and praying your life will miraculously change for the better. It won’t. Unless, you finally change your mind.